September 20, 2005

KADISH TIME

Simon Wiesenthal died. Many say with him died the conscience of the Holocaust.

He was an amazing man. One might not agree with his life choice; it doesn’t change the fact that he was one of a kind. Anyone who survived the horror of the concentration camps needs to be admired, if nothing else for his sheer determination to live.

He not only survived his ordeal - he found purpose, dignity and honor in the aftermath of his own suffering. And he decided he would not sit quietly by the sidelines of history while the perpetrators of such horrible, unspeakable crimes slowly slipped away into oblivion, taking with them the truth about their deeds.

A life such as Wiesenthal’s is not easy to grasp. But I don’t need to fully understand him. I don’t. I do see clearly that someone needed to do what he did. And only some, very few, actually could have done what he did. I am grateful to him for his work. I am proud of him. I hope he can now rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

as always beautifully written

your mate

Michael