February 20, 2006

HAPPY SHRUB DAY

Yes, dear friends, that is the latest. A Texan acquaintance of mine told me this little anecdote: flying home to his family, he sat right by this lady who just talked and complained all flight long about the White House, the administration etc etc. All the while, though, he heard the word shrub interposed in each and every sentence. Finally, he turned to her and asked - "what does a shrub have to do with anything though?" To which she replied - "you know, a shrub, as in a small bush..."'

Well, well. Happy Shrub Day then. What does a shrub do on its happy day?

One thing is for sure: as a federal employee, El Presidente is off today. He is off, while I am working. Ok, I confess to being a little bitter about the whole thing: I just realized that I and everybody else in my office (and outside too) are paying for Shrub Day right now... We pay for our days off, and for Shrub Days as well. And also for the days Cheney accidentally shoots rich and influential hunting partners... Oh, we're paying for the hospital costs too.

Shrubs, in all their shapes and forms and grades, are pretty costly.

No comments: