January 4, 2006

AND STILL THINKING ABOUT 2006

Continuing on the LA Times editorial mentioned in the previous post - another wish the editors have is:

"The US to make the semifinals at next Summer's soccer World Cup in Germany."

Ok, I beg to disagree. And call it patriotism, but hey: can we Brazilians just keep this bit of glory to ourselves? I mean, nothing wrong with the United States developing a taste for the wonderful game of soccer (it's about time!!)... After all, this is a real sport - no tights, no shoulder pads, no carrying an oval-shaped ball with your hands, no make-up, no helmets... Hehe. I know I am probably losing points here with my views on American football, but I can't help it. I apologize.

And I won't even go and remark on baseball's shortcomings... Suffice it to say that in my opinion the best thing about a baseball game is the hot dog-and-beer combo.

In any case, my point is that the United States pretty much holds a monopoly in most other sports. And this is a very rich country, with a population that is well educated and exposed to all kinds of possibilities. There is no need to conquer soccer as well, right? That's all.

Making to the semifinals this coming World Cup means that the US team would make it to the finals the cup after that. So I am against this particular wish.

6 comments:

Motorway said...

It's called football, not soccer!!

Gisela said...

Really? We call it futebol in Brazil... But isn't it soccer here? Ok you lost me.

Motorway said...

We dutch call it 'voetbal'. Soccer is only used by those who fail to appreciate the game like Americans.

US for World Championship?, hahaha!!!

Gisela said...

Hey man - do not underestimate Americans - a few years back there was no such thing as a "soccer mom"... Now they are all over the place!!!

If you say football here, you are referring to the men in tights with helmets, shoulder pads and make-up... So any other suggestions? Plus, don't the British also call it soccer?

Motorway said...

Naa...all the Brits I know call it football or 'footie'. Do you really think a US team could beat Brazil?

Gisela said...

It is not as impossible as you would have thought a few years ago. Partly because the Americans do work hard, and partly because unfortunately my compatriots sometimes have the tendency to play mediocre matches...

All the more so if they are convinced of their superiority over the opponents!!

Of course, all this has to do with the coach. A good coach would never let his team take that sort of approach, and hopefully our coach will behave decently.